Tuesday 2 October 2012

New Beginnings, (Again)!

In University I spent a lot of late nights studying, eating poorly and packing on the pounds.  Well ok, so maybe living with five guy roommates and trying to keep up with their chicken wing and beer diet also had something to do with it.  What can I say? Most people just pack on their “freshmen fifteen”. I should have been so lucky!  


I joined Christine’s Fitness in Toronto and started working out there regularly with my dear friend Gracey.  With endless amounts of support and encouragement from these ladies I was able to get in the best shape of my life.  Christine taught me how to get the most out of my workouts and how to eat properly.  At almost record speed, she whipped my nineteen-year-old body back into shape.  It seems hard to believe that it’s been 8 years already since I lost 50 pounds.

This is what Christine was able to do with me last time around:




 

So, what’s happened since? Yikes, well, I’m a repeat offender.

And it is definitely not drinking beer this time but stress, late nights, work, work, work…

I also no longer went to Christine’s, my temple of fitness. I was eating poorly. Tale as old as time, right?

My absolute worst habit is without a doubt my pattern of getting very little sleep.  I like to work at night while there are no phone call, e-mails or interruptions or general mayhem.  I will generally work until the wee hours of the morning and then get up and work some more in the AM.  I work in a complicated field you might generally call communications consulting, so my work is very unpredictable, heavily project-based and my schedule is ever-changing from one minute to the next.   




Add to that the fact that my partner is one of the lucky people who strives to ADD weight to his frame – which means our cupboards always stocked with bad stuff (EVIL STUFF FOR THE BODS).  So there you have it, lots of excuses not to be in shape – none of them very good.

I am, however, at a bit of a crossroads...
 


I’ll be 28 in a few weeks and that’s a stone’s throw away from 30.  I have reasons other than vanity (shocking, I know) for wanting to be in better shape.  I’m finding that I have less energy these days and that I am experiencing some pain, specifically lower back/sciatica.  I would really like to enter the next decade of my life with better health habits and just generally speaking, I would love to be the best I can be.  I found this beautiful quote and I think it will probably resonate with every woman who reads it:

  “It is a shame for a woman to grow old without ever seeing the strength and beauty of which her body is capable.”

My beautiful friend Gracey Hitchcock, publisher of Dolce Dolce, a health and beauty newsletter I greatly enjoy reading: www.dolcedolce.com, as well as the stunning Christine Steiger, of Christine’s Fitness have both suggested that I try blogging about my weight loss this time around.  Both these ladies know me fairly well and they know that it might help provide me with the inspiration and accountability I need to succeed.

I first discussed this with Christine some five weeks ago and in the spirit of full disclosure I will say that she has given me a program and that I have agreed to write about my experiences while on the program.  I am not being paid to write a blog about Christine’s but you will often see it mentioned on these pages because I really believe that she does amazing work and changes people’s lives.

A Google search will reveal that I have endorsed and provided testimonials for Christine in the past.  I was not paid for these testimonials (none of the members are when they provide testimonials).  You’ll find an abundance of people willing to stand up and tell you how great Christine’s is because it’s the truth.  It is way more than a gym – staff members at Christine’s are more like life coaches than trainers.  They don’t just know your name; they know your pet’s names, where you ache and what you weaknesses are.   Even more importantly, they genuinely care about your happiness, your health and your success.  They will never bully you Jillian Michaels style; instead, they’ll try and provide you with the constant motivation and gentle push that you need to succeed.

Over the past five weeks, I’ve been slowly getting back into the swing of things.  I’ve been getting to the gym about twice a week, doing a Christine’s workout (I should really be getting in much more often) and I have been slowly working Christine’s principles of nutrition back into my diet.  I’ve still been eating bad stuff and having the occasional glass of wine, but I’ve been trying to work in more protein, more complex and fibrous carbs, less sugar and fewer processed carbs.  It’s been a fairly crazy five weeks of work plus impromptu events so I have been derailed more than a few times.  Still, I’m very happy with the results I’ve already had.  Enough stalling, these are my official “before” pics.  This was taken at a good friend's baby shower recently and I'm not lying when I say that my girlfriend, eight months pregnant with twins, looked way better than I did!   These are my new pictures, having lost nine pounds in about four and a half weeks, taken in early October 2012.   Please excuse the low quality pictures.


BEFORE 




You will notice the hiding of self with giant designer purse.  A staple move of mine!


THIS IS ANOTHER (FLATTERING) BEFORE PHOTO TAKEN AT ONE MY BEST FRIENDS' WEDDING (IN JULY)




WORK IN PROGRESS: THIS PIC WAS TAKEN A FEW DAYS AGO, ON MY I-PHONE CAM, SORRY IT IS SO BLURRY.  PLEASE NOTE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE THAT I AM WEARING GAZILLION INCH HEELS IN THIS PICTURE.




FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES AND SO THAT YOU CAN SEE THAT I HAVE SLIGHTLY LESS PUDGE ON MY FACE - HERE IS A PIC OF ME TODAY, AS I AM POSTING THIS:

 

OH COMMON, STOP THAT FLATTERING ANGLE TOMFOOLERY! - OK OK SO MAYBE I REALLY LOOK MORE LIKE THIS:


 
 
















To paraphrase my beloved partner of four years, the pudge is starting to melt of my chin but my cheeks have yet to receive the memo...
 
In all seriousness - I’m still a long way away from where I would like to be but I’m very encouraged by these results. I do need to get cracking and serious now.  I start a more rigorous program next week because Canadian thanksgiving is this weekend and just... you know, common now!  I will let you know how it goes and update my pictures.  I will also try and get through thanksgiving without wrecking all of the progress I've made in the past month.  HA! 

As I continue I’ll be sharing some tips and experiences with you, my readers.

Thank you for reading, please feel free to leave me any comments, questions or tips and tricks of your own.


As Christine always says, “Best of Health”!
 

xoxo











Anne 



1 comment: